Home License VerificationRenewals & ApplicationsMeeting Notices
Frequently Asked Questions
Board of DirectorsLicensureLawLicense VerificationProfessional DevelopmentConferencesComplaintsFAQ
ResourcesContact InformationBoard MeetingsHome

Q. Can a Health Coach do nutrition education?

A.  A health coach is an individual trained to work with individuals to motivate them to make healthy life style changes. Health coaches can give basic nutrition information on choosing healthy foods. The health coach if desiring to provide medical nutrition therapy, would need to meet the requirements for licensure as a licensed registered dietitian under the North Dakota Statute Chapter 43-44.

Q. Do I need to be licensed in North Dakota if I am providing nutrition counseling from another state to North Dakota residents?


Q. Is there a test for licensed nutritionist?

A.  No, but you must submit a transcript of your college degree when you apply for licensure. If the baccalaureate degree is greater than ten years old, evidence of seventy-five hours of continuing education under section 20.5-02-01-05 must be provided.

Q. How do I become a licensed registered dietitian?

A.  You must have completed all the requirements for a registered dietitian with CDR and then make application to North Dakota Board of Dietetic Practice.

Q. How many continuing education hours must I have each year?

A.  Both the licensed registered dietitian and the licensed nutritionist must show proof of 75 hours of continuing education in a five-year recertification cycle.

Q. How do I initiate a complaint against a licensed registered dietitian or licensed nutritionist?

A.  See the complaint procedure on the website.

Q. How do I get my name changed on my license after I marry?

A.  If you are a registered dietitian through the Commission on Dietetic Registration you need to update your name status with the CDR.  Once your name has been changed with CDR please email execsec@ndbodp.com with your name change and a new license will be emailed to you by the NDBODP.  If you are a licensed nutritionist please email or mail a copy of your marriage license to the NDBODP and a new license will be emailed to you.

Q. I have a change of address, what do I do?

A.  Please send your change of address to NDBODP at execsec@ndbodp.com or Pat Anderson, 2304 Jackson Avenue, Bismarck ND 58501-2273.

Q. How often does the Board meet?

A.  At least once a year in September. Additional meetings may be called by the Board as needed. Watch the website for dates of meetings and place. The public is welcome.

Q. What is the order for placement of credentials behind a dietitian's name?

A.  The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) has issued guidelines for professional credential placement. The recommended order of listed credentials for Registered Dietitians is: Graduate degree, RDN (or RD), specialty certifications with the CDR (e.g. CSG, CSO, CSP, CSSD, CSR), licensure designation, and other certifications (e.g. CDE, CNS, etc.).  The CDR has also recommended to not modify your current licensure designation; therefore you should use the designation, LRD, not LRDN for your licensure credential.

Q.  What title should be used when granted a limited license to practice dietetics in ND?

A.  Since the North Dakota credential for a licensed dietitian is "licensed registered dietitian (LRD)", these dietitians may not use this credential until after they have passed the RD exam.  The Commission on Dietetic Registration recommends that this category of dietitian refer to themselves as "provisionally licensed dietitian" or "registration eligible dietitian".  CDR made it clear that these titles should not be abbreviated in any way and are only acceptable when written out in full. 

Q.  Are there any restrictions on practice with a limited license?

A.  Our law does not put any limits on how a graduate dietitian that has a limited permit may practice; however, some employers may require that the dietitian be registered prior to employment.  These dietitians need to make sure that they are forthcoming about their limited license to their potential employer.  If you are an employer who hires registration eligible dietitians, it is your responsibility to make sure that the nutrition needs and requirements of your place of business are met with a non-registered dietitian.  Some facilities may require a provisionally licensed dietitian to work under and/or have documentation signed off by a licensed registered dietitian.